By Matthew Joseph Mottram
The winner of UCL's annual HEP thesis prize, this paintings describes an research of the information from the second one flight of the Antarctica Impulsive brief Antenna (ANITA). ANITA is a balloon-borne scan that searches for radio signs originating from ultra-high strength neutrinos and cosmic rays interacting with the Antarctic ice or air. the quest for ultrahigh power neutrinos of astrophysical beginning is without doubt one of the impressive experimental demanding situations of the twenty first century. The ANITA test was once designed to be the main delicate device to ultra-high power neutrinos that originate from the interactions of cosmic rays with the cosmic microwave history. The technique and result of the neutrino and cosmic ray searches are provided within the thesis.
Read or Download A Search for Ultra-High Energy Neutrinos and Cosmic-Rays with ANITA-2 PDF
Similar measurements books
The most subject matter of this ebook is the interplay of electrons with electromagnetic waves within the presence of periodic and quasi-periodic constructions in vacuum, in view of purposes within the layout and operation of particle accelerators. the 1st a part of the e-book is worried with the textbook-like presentation of the elemental fabric, particularly reviewing undemanding electromagnetic phenomena and electron dynamics.
This monograph collects and seriously experiences the most effects got by means of the medical group in gyroscope applied sciences study box. It describes architectures, layout thoughts and fabrication know-how of angular expense sensors proposed in literature. MEMS, MOEMS, optical and mechanical applied sciences are mentioned including conceivable functionality.
On October sixteen and 17, 2000, we hosted a world workshop entitled "Statistical layout, dimension, and research of overall healthiness comparable caliber of existence. " The workshop used to be held within the appealing urban of Arradon, South Brittany, France with the most target of fostering an interdisciplinary discussion board for dialogue of theoretical and utilized statistical matters bobbing up in reviews of health-related caliber of existence (HRQoL).
- Basic Metrology for Iso 9000 Certification
- Optical metrology
- Charged Particle Traps: Physics and Techniques of Charged Particle Field Confinement
- Particle Accelerator Physics
- Fast Electrical and Optical Measurements: Volume I — Current and Voltage Measurements / Volume II — Optical Measurements
- Observation of the Earth and its Environment: Survey of Missions and Sensors
Additional info for A Search for Ultra-High Energy Neutrinos and Cosmic-Rays with ANITA-2
Rev. Astron. Astrophys. 22, 425 (1984) 14. K. V. Olinto, Ann. Rev. Astron. Astrophys. 49, 119 (2011) 15. M. , Astropart. Phys. 19, 447 (2003), [astro-ph/0209422] 16. V. Berezinsky, M. Kachelrieß, A. Vilenkin, Phys. Rev. Lett. 79, 4302 (1997) 17. V. Berezinsky, A. Vilenkin, Phys. Rev. Lett. 79, 5202 (1997) 18. The Pierre Auger Collaboration, J. , Phys. Lett. 1975] 19. U. , Phys. Rev. Lett. 100, 101101 (2008) 20. D. W. Wolfendale, J. Phys. G31, 1475 (2005), [astro-ph/0510016] References 27 21. E.
23. 5 for a similar test setup . The effect of removing each ring of antennas from contributing to a trigger was investigated, results are shown in Fig. 21. It was found that masking the upper and lower rings of antennas was more detrimental to triggering efficiency than masking the nadir ring of antennas. However, even with entire rings of antennas inactive, the payload remained sensitive to signals with SNR values <4. This hardware efficiency must be taken with consideration of the fact that the frequency content of the pulser may differ from that of an Askaryan signal.
References 1. S. Barwick, D. Besson, P. Gorham, D. Saltzberg, J. Glaciol. 51, 231 (2005) 2. The ANITA Collaboration, P. , Astropart. Phys. 1920] References 53 3. W. , Phys. Rev. Lett. 2715] 4. The ANITA Collaboration, S. , Phys. Rev. Lett. 0035] 5. S. Hoover, in A Search for Ultrahigh-Energy Neutrinos and Measurement of Cosmic Ray Radio Emission with the Antarctic Impulsive Transient Antenna, PhD thesis, (University of California, Los Angeles, 2010) 6. W. , Phys. Rev. 2961] 7. A. Vieregg, in The Search for Astrophysical Ultra-High Energy Neutrinos Using Radio Detection Techniques, PhD thesis, (University of California, Los Angeles, 2010) 8.
A Search for Ultra-High Energy Neutrinos and Cosmic-Rays with ANITA-2 by Matthew Joseph Mottram